Questions parents should ask when selecting a birth photographer:
- Does the photographer tell the whole story? Anyone can have a handful of amazing images, and the skill lies in telling a compelling story. Before you hire a birth photographer, ask to see a complete portfolio. If the photographer doesn’t have a portfolio, it’s a necessary disclosure.
- Does the photographer have experience in different types of birth photography (both natural and C-section)?
- Does the photographer have a good report with the medical professionals and institutions in your area, e.g. does she have a practice close to your hospital of choice/place of birth?
- Is the photographer a registered member of the South African Birth Photographers Association (SABPA)?
Birth Photography is a labour of love.
More questions a parent should ask when selecting a Birth Photographer
- Does the photographer have client references?
- Does the photographer have a birth code of conduct and an understanding of hospital and theatre regulations, and will he/she share a copy with you?
- Has the photographer’s work been published before?
- Will the photographer provide you with a proper birth photography contract?
- Will the photographer be 100% on-call and ready to attend your birth at any hour?